Day 81: Gouillons to Rambouillet - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2024

Day 81: Gouillons to Rambouillet

Heart 0 Comment 0

As we left the Loire yesterday we passed through a bit of the uninspired cityscape found outside all modern cities. But after that we were into a whole new world, of grain and rape fields, and with very old looking buildings made of rough stone. We passed through small village after small village like that, with small roads joining them. It was really quite something.

When we arrived in the, yes, small village of Guillons, late in the evening, it had begun to rain. Without looking around much at the town or the chambre d'hote where we were,  we did our standard routine - including writing the blog - and quit. Today of course we could open our eyes a bit more and see where we were.

Where we were was inside a building from 1225 - 13th century. It was directly adjacent to the old stone church, 12th century. In fact there was a bricked up doorway facing the church, with  a Templar insignia in the wall there. That's why our host calls the place the former Templar house. 

But the first thing we looked at was the bird, an Amazon parrot that lived in the kitchen. We liked him a lot, though he spoke only French

Allo, allo?
Heart 1 Comment 0

The real star was this pussycat.  Since we have increased our time away from home, we have not replaced the up to six cats at a time that we had for much of our lives, and we love cats. This one spent the night in our bed. Cats adore Dodie, while they will usually put up with me. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

The house featured stone floors, rough hewn beams, and stone walls. It was a great place. I did feel that breakfast touched the lowest rung of what you find in France, with just coffee/hot chocolate, toast, packaged yogurt, and packaged apple sauce. However that toast came with jam, and in the second photo below we can see seven jams. But seven jams, as has now long been established, do not make up a "seven jammer".

Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretSeven jammers equals eight toasters.;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretBonne Maman jam.( I can tell by the checkered lid) To paraphrase Grampies “eh”..I agree with you, Steve. The lovely setting does not “make this breakfast whole”..
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The building on the right is our place, while on the left is the church. Our host seemed to feel there might have been covered access from one to the other.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The walled up door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
and the Templar insignia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The rest of our town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
House Martin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Within a minute (or less) we were out of town, and into the fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It seemed kind of triumphal to have our way lined with yellow flowers.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltCanola
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThey smell so fragrant in their brassica sort of way!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
But this is a more typical scene- half grain, half rape, church, and wind turbines.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wind turbines are a thing here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At first I called this quaint "row housing", but in fact these are barns.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Corn Bunting
Heart 0 Comment 0
We continued to pass one town after another. Typically they looked like this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another Corn Bunting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like quite a singer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
and this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ultimately we came to what had drawn us originally to this region - the Rambouillet Forest. This had popped up on our Birds of France card as a bird hotspot. The path certainly took us through deep, well spaced, and beautiful forest. But as has happened to us in other "hotspots" from Mexico to Spain, we scarcely saw a single bird.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rolled out of the forest and into the rather gay little tourist town of Rambouillet. This is famous for its chateau, but today there was a market all along its main street.

Rambouillet
Heart 1 Comment 0
with a market in full swing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were attracted by this man making Syrian meat stuffed bread, something that seems to be called Arrayes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They look like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie lined up to get some.
Heart 1 Comment 0
OK, gotta make more.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just beside the market was a park with a large oval pond, called Le Rondeau. It's part of the waterworks around the chateau. We found a bench there to try out our Syrian  food find. The pond had Canada Geese, which are common in many countries, and a  Chaffinch came by briefly, not to mention some Mallards and Magpies. But these could not be what put Rambouillet on Dodie's birding map. It turns out there is a thing called Espace Rambouillet,  just outside of town, displaying wildlife of the surrounding forest, and including an apparently famous raptor show. This could have been fun, but rain was now falling steadily, so we turned tail and headed for the hotel.

Canada Goose
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mallards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chaffinch
Heart 0 Comment 0
One legged Magie?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Market fun continued all down the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Since today was my birthday, it seemed some cake would be in order. The GPS turned up at least four bakeries in two blocks, let's go! It's silly about the birthday, because what has been the excuse for finding the bakery on probably each of the previous 79 days of this trip?

Even though "cake" would be traditional, I really like those fruit tarts!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Or what about eclairs, or those round pink things? In the end, we came away with a varied selection.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretIt’s YOUR day, so eat what YOU want! Happy Birthday, Steve! :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Our hotel is directly adjacent to the chateau, and has a four star rating. And our large room is on the ground floor, quite near the lobby.  It would have been easy to just roll our bikes in, but there was no need since they had a nice baggage space for them. 

The other thing about the lobby was that there came at one point to be a lot of hubub there. I went for a look, and found a rather unique thing. There were about twenty rather large and well stuffed young women (like in their 30's?) all done up in bouffant satin gowns, matching hair styles, and lots of makeup.  The gowns were not all the same, but they all were in shades of purple or violet. These women were gathered to one side, and milling around opposite was an equivalent number of buff young men, wearing purple jackets, often, and white pants.  Without any background knowledge, I surmised these people were from a Guadeloupe immigrant community.

So, I marched up to the women, and asked them why they were all dressed like that. They explained that it was a wedding, and that the happy couple had specified this as the dress style and colour. I persisted (being a natural bug) and asked whether the bride would nonetheless appear in white, and where was she, anyway.  I am not sure if they answered directly, or merely allowed me to persist in my own idea that the bride, in white, was still upstairs.

I returned to our room and recounted this to Dodie, adding that I had been too shy to take any pictures. Dodie encouraged me to go back and just ask about a picture. I did that, approaching a group of four - as I say, well stuffed, heavily painted, young(ish) women. They did pause slightly to listen to my request, but instantly returned to their conversation. I think they instinctively felt the best way to deal with this bug was to ignore it (him).

Slow to take a hint, I went and stood among the large and powerful seeming young men, even if they were dressed in lilac. This produced some mild "making strange" vibes. So as a conversation opener, I asked the nearest one about the choice of colours. It was specified by the wedding party, was the answer, consistent with the ladies'.

In other situations, in several countries, when we come upon local people doing their local stuff, we seem to be able to wade in, getting some photos, while  usually being totally ignored, even if dressed all in yellow. But here I got an off vibe, not that anything was said, that my camera could end in the lake, and maybe me too. I decided to withdraw.  All I have is some not suitable for publication photos of some ample, bouffant, purple backsides.

One addendum to this poorly developed story. Among the large young women, but off to one side, was a just as purple but thin, old, and shrunken woman. My "blink" reaction to her was fear. I don't even know if these people are from a place where voodoo is a thing, but I really wasn't trying a photo of that one!

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 3,955 km (2,456 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Kelly IniguezHappy birthday to you! Your bike is working fine now?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYes, and it feels very smooth! Noe the mechanic told me in an email that he had totally serviced the replacement (but used) hub and he expects it will outlast the rim.

Noe also sent birthday wishes. So nice!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonHappy birthday! Glad you have a functioning bike.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYes! When your life is your bike, having the bike be broken is specially no fun! How about this weird epilog: Without the expense of a new bike the P950 camera for no good reason got back on the birthday agenda. I put it in the shopping cart of London Drugs, a store chain you may remember from Victoria, but my finger hesitated on the "Buy" button. Now CBC reports that London Drugs was hacked, and they have closed all their stores (temporarily!?). But I had given them our remaining good VISA number for online purchasing (earlier one got hacked while on this trip, and we blocked it). So no new birthday camera yet!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Angela NaefHappy Birthday!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago