In Toulouse - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2024

In Toulouse

​No kilometres ridden but lots of steps taken

A bit of a dreary looking morning weather-wise. We made several trips to the hotel breakfast area to help ourselves to the coffee and cocoa. It seemed that no amount of coffee was going to influence the nine hour time change induced jetlag. With the grey skies and wet weather Pat gave in and went back to bed and Scott began building bikes. Sleep still evaded Pat but the bike building was a big success. Scott is pretty sure that Pat had organized the timing to again avoid the bike assembly chore. Yet to be tested, but the bikes look to have safely made their multi aircraft connection journey.

We are staying in a one bedroom suite. The extra space is very handy when setting up the bikes and organizing all our stuff! Quel disaster.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesLooks just about right for the traditional gear explosion prior to organization.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

Around noon Pat returned from the bedroom and advised that the oranges and bread that we had eaten for breakfast were gone and we should head out for lunch. The rain had stopped but the weather was  mixed as we made our way the short distance to the Victor Hugo market. Unfortunately, we found that it was closed on Mondays. But right across the street was a restaurant named J`Go with an appealing lunch menu. Inside the restaurant, details looked slightly familiar to the spot where we had lunch (Le Bon Vivre on Place Wilson) the previous day. In fact we later discovered that the two are related and both have the philosophy that the meals they serve are to be made with local products that must be good and sustainable. Not surprisingly,  our meals were both very good.

Le J`Go in Toulouse.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After lunch we once again decided to try and remedy our sleep deprivation with afternoon naps. They were  good but our recovery seems to be taking days, not just an afternoon.  The weather was greatly improving and we decided to take on the challenge of completing one of the self directed walking tours of Toulouse that are available on the web. Using a map and finding each preselected building location was great fun and an interesting way to explore the city. In the end you are forced onto new streets, to improve your navigation skills and discover a few tidbits about the local sights. It was fun and a great success!

Here is our scavenger hunt route in Toulouse.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesLooks like GPS mycity.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
There are several of these ornate vintage carousals scattered around.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Basilica of Saint Sernin. An UNESCO site, the basilica was built in the Romanesque style in the early 12th century. Unfortunately it was closed to the public when we were there.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The bell tower.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking back on one of the many very pedestrian friendly streets of Toulouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sun is coming out and things are warming up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rue d'Alsace-Lorraine (Alsace-Lorraine Street) is one of the main shopping streets and divides sectors. The dome in the foregrand houses a display showing how Toulouse has been changing over the past ten years. Its transformation to a pedestrian, cycle friendly green space has been significant. Others could learn from their experience.
Heart 3 Comment 0
From the guide, ¨The Augustins Museum (Musée des Augustins), located in Toulouse, is a distinguished fine arts museum that showcases an extensive collection of sculptures and paintings dating from the Middle Ages to the early 20th century. The museum is especially renowned for its remarkable assortment of Romanesque sculptures and its comprehensive collection of paintings sourced from various regions across France, each emphasizing the rich Occitan culture of the area.¨ We will have to take their word for it as it is closed for renovation. We will need to return in 2025.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We could see the cool decorative down spouts.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Toulouse (Toulouse Cathedral). It is a national monument with a chaotic history. The front is made from two unfinished churches from two different times. The interior of the church is also a source of confusion. The front plaza area is also under construction.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A plaque on the wall shows how the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne may have looked at one time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view showing the scale of the Cathédrale with an impressive tree in the foreground.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On route, we travelled through Place de la Trinité where every outside table was packed with students drinking beer. We believe today was the last of exams for some.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hotel d'Assezat and Bemberg Foundation. The Hotel was completed by wealthy businessman Pierre Assézat in 1562. The Hotel is now owned by the City of Toulouse. Starting in 1994, The Bemberg Foundation Art Gallery has made its home in the Hotel d'Assezat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This very ornate doorway is an entrance into the building. We were very surprised at it`s small scale. Pat is really not very tall.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A plaque that provides a fuller view of the hotel. Pat was standing in front of the door on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pont Neuf Bridge. King Francis I of France had learned not to trust Charles V of Spain. It was vital to be able to move defending armies across the Garonne quickly in any weather or season. The result was the sturdy, invincible Nine Bridge. Look closely in the opening beside first arch.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Why is there a red man under the Pont-Neuf? In 2017 an artist snuck him into place in the dead of the night. In fact, it's a schoolboy wearing a donkey's cap. He's being punished.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Pont Neuf bridge deck. Toulouse is a very walking and cycling oriented city. Only one lane for cars in one direction.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Pont Saint-Michel and Toulouse's tramway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Henri Martin promenade at the Quai de la Daurade.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Quai on the banks of the Garonne is very popular in the late afternoon sun on a Spring day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
All this walking made us thirsty for a beer at the Four Monkeys Bar. The place is full of character.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretLike a barrel of monkeys? ;)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
The building just down the street.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe sky color backdrop is ominous!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Hard work holding it up.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We passed a few of these neat medieval half timber houses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another one on an interesting street corner.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These buildings may be 500 years old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And it is a lot of work to reclaim them! This specially designed and built exterior skeleton will keep the building stable as the renovating work takes place inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last stop - the Capitole de Toulouse. By the 12th century the "Notables" created a group of capitouls (consuls) to manage the city. Thus the Capitole came to be. The facade of the Capitole is pink brick set in 1750 in Neoclassical style. It dominates the vast Place du Capitole in the heart of Toulouse. Eight columns above the main entrance are in memory of the eight original Capitouls.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some of detail of the Capitole building.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We had finished our Toulouse landmark scavenger hunt and it was now getting dark. We bought a premade meal to reheat in our suite and enjoyed a quiet dinner at home. We fell asleep quickly, but the sleep never seems to last the night and we find ourselves awake, listening to podcasts hoping to doze off again. One step at a time, we will adjust.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetJet lag! Ugh! We find that melatonin before bedtime the first few nights helps.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe older we get the longer the jetlag seems to last. Don't worry, thus too shall pass.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago