Day 3: Mt Morgan to Fitzroy River - Gladstone to Cairns 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2024

Day 3: Mt Morgan to Fitzroy River

we decided not to get on the road too early because the IGA didn’t open til 9. Typically that meant we were even later leaving after waiting for tents and washed clothes to dry so didn’t get out of the caravan park til nearly 10. We went to the IGA and bakery and sampled the architectural delights of Mt Morgan CBD. 

Did not enter the museum so am still unsure if T Rexes once lived in Mt Morgan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Big tent spider
Heart 0 Comment 0

By the time we left it was getting hot already as we climbed out a little bit of highway and then turned onto the secondary Kabra road. The official national trail route goes back out to near where we came up then down another 4wd track to Bouldercombe. Even the sealed Razorback Road we went down was steep as, seeming to drop most of the elevation in one straight section.

Steep descent and at lest one greenie
Heart 0 Comment 0

I’ve decided that there’s no good way to get to Mt Morgan by bicycle so my advice for fellow tourers is: don’t do it. It’s not worth the climb to see a massive mountain cut in half.  

There was a reasonable amount of traffic down the range but then mostly turned off so we had some nice bitumen back roads largely to ourselves although they were a bit more undulating that I would’ve liked. 

We stopped at an avocado and mango farm and picked up a bag of six avocados for $5 and got barked at incessantly by 4 small dogs. 

Kabra was quite disappointing as the sports field water seemed to be turned off and the pub was closed. The pub was most annoying cause we had to backtrack on the highway over a narrow bridge. Given our lack of water, we decided to ride into Stanwell town. We passed via the children’s memorial and what looks like the orphanage the memorial is commemorating. We also passed some modern day kids having a nice time in the creek. Stanwell was muhcv more hospitable with cold drinks, coffee and a willingness to fill all our bottles from behind the counter. 

We did 7k on the highway cause we were on the wrong side from the national trail then had a chat to a guy at Kalapa hall, got some more water and pushed on into the Moah Creek wind farm site that we visited for work last year. They’ve put up more signs since I was there but I didn’t realise the power station backdrop possible with some of them until too late.

So just got a photo of Gabby and the power station instead
Heart 2 Comment 0

We crossed  a small hill and immediately came down into cattle country with no houses. We turned off to head in across 5 k of flood plain to an amazing campsite at the Fitzroy river, in time for a swim before sunset dinner of mushroom and capsicum omelette.

Fitzroy river camp at sunset
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 210 km (130 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0