post trip - New Orleans to Nashville - CycleBlaze

post trip

The return trip was pretty uneventful with the exception of two things:

This morning I got a call from Penske. They asked if I'd consider picking up the van an hour later, and at a different location (which happens to be closer to my hotel). If I agreed they'd drop another 10% off their already ridiculously low cost, as well as pay for my Uber to get there. That was a no-brainer.

I was really fortunate to be able to get this van.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike, strapped to the side of the van, and my panniers, with plenty of room left. Maybe I should've used this for a hotel room and stayed another night!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The only other event of my post-trip (besides the light, steady rain almost the entire way back... the rain that didn't fall on me while riding my bike) was when I stopped at a coffee shop for a muffin and a mocha. I was ready to leave, but decided to sit in the van a few extra minutes. I was in a large vehicle and didn't want to hit anyone as I backed out, and I knew the cars beside me wouldn't be there much longer. While I was waiting the kid parked on my right got in his car to leave, then backed out and hit my van. I got out and looked at his crumpled left rear panel, then at my completely unmarked right rear panel.  I don't really understand how THAT happened, how it could cause so much damage to his vehicle and not mine, but I was pretty happy I wouldn't have to be dealing with that headache. He told me that he had just gotten his car out of the shop for the same thing, and as he was backing up the thought in the foremost part of his brain was, "Make sure you don't hit the van. Make sure you don't hit the van. Make sure you... [CRUNCH!]"  I felt pretty sorry for him...  poor kid.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Rich FrasierGreat journal! Thanks for writing it despite your misgivings. I can only speak for myself but at least one person read and enjoyed it.

Like Kelly, I’d love to know what happened with your tire. I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. Went through several tubes and 2 tires and never did figure out what was wrong. I eventually replaced the tire and tube again and had no more problems. But the tour was a goner…it was day 1 and we had to abandon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergGreat journal Mark. I’m glad you posted it. And I’ll add a vote for wanting to know the final story on the flat tire. I had similar multiple flat problems this summer (although thankfully not on a tour, just day rides). Finally resolved it by replacing the rim strip with Gorilla tape, at the suggestion of a bike mechanic.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezI’ve been to Trader Joe’s and purchased four different BarBell bars to try. The check out girl assured me one of my choices tastes like a Snickets! I’m trying that one first!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Judith HiottI am the kid that hits people in parking lots.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Timothy DaleSo what was the cause of the flats?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Timothy DaleThis is in the comments from the yesterday's post. I'm not sure why I didn't put it here instead of there, especially since this is the post in which everyone wants to know what happened. It's from over a year ago:

I never really figured out what happened with the tire, at least not to my satisfaction. When I got back I took it to my bike mechanic. He was pretty excited since it was something new for him and he started asking a bunch of questions trying to determine the issue. It was like a physician taking a good medical history.

Eventually, we determined that there were at least two problems, but I'm still not convinced there wasn't something else. The first is the patches. I'll never use the ones with adhesive already on them again, except maybe to tape up temporary birthday decorations or something. The second is that when I replaced a tube there was no air in it when I initially put it in. He suggested having at least a little bit, 2-3 psi, to prevent it from folding. I've always seated the tubes (put the tube/tire on, partially pump it up, deflate it, then pump it up all the way) to prevent folds, but he said that if you just leave a little air in it when it goes in then that isn't necessary. All of that makes sense, but it seems odd that when the traveling bike mechanic put in a new rim strip, tube, and tire, it STILL went flat. I checked for a spoke (or anything) stabbing through the rim strip, as did the bike mechanic on my trip, as did my local bike mechanic, and none of us found anything. And when I say "checked," I mean that I went over it like it was going to cause rectal cancer if I missed it. Whatever the cause, he put on another rim strip and a different tube and it's remained inflated since the end of October, so that's good. However, I still haven't ridden on it, so that's not good.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
George HallWow, what an amazing adventure you had! I only now "discovered" this journal, not sure how I missed it earlier - it would have been good for me to read before my Great Rivers South ride 1 year after you. Still I recognized many of the photos you took and rekindled memories of many of the places you visited - but your lodging experiences were so much more adventurous than mine! I definitely didn't enjoy the traffic on the Trace approaching Jackson and especially didn't enjoy it as I neared Tupelo - otherwise it was good. Thanks for a great read
Reply to this comment
1 year ago