Day 44: Tachun Creek Campground to Lake Labarge Campground - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2010

Day 44: Tachun Creek Campground to Lake Labarge Campground

It was a big climb out of the campground and there were lots of up and down today.

I stopped in at Braeburn for lunch today. They are well known for their oversized food. I had an enormous hamburger. It was OK, but nothing special. However, the guy who ran the place was quite abrupt. It is somewhat surprising to see someone in the services industry be that unfriendly.

I had a few problems with my bike computer today. The display was very difficult to read and seems to be caused by heat. I fixed up the original one I had been using by removing the battery for a while and then replacing it. It seems to have fixed the frozen display problem it had.

I stayed at the Lake Leberge Campground. It's a 2 km descent to the lake. The lake is famous from the Robert Service poem the Cremation of Sam McGee. I was going to stay at site 14. It was a walk-in site well away from the lake as all the lakeside sites were taken. I decided to go down to the lake to take a picture first before setting up my tent. I got chatting to a guy who was there. It turns out he had the best site that was right on the lake, but had decided to leave early and return to Whitehorse. He told me to go ahead and set up my tent there. When I went to fill in the registration form, he told me not to both since he had already paid! I was able to pull out my Kindle and read the Cremation of Sam McGee while looking out at the lake mentioned in the poem. A great experience!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cremation_of_Sam_McGee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lBkuz1TlVc

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=61.077,-135.19634&ll=61.077,-135.19634&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I never knew this about butterflies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Five Finger Rapids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View near the Five Finger Rapids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mammoth tusk outside museum in Carmacks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can use 911 now. (If I had a phone.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Lake Leberge from my tent. I read Robert Services poem 'The Cremation of Sam McGee' here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 162 km (101 miles)
Total: 4,772 km (2,963 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0