Off to Verona - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2024

Off to Verona

I left Innsbruck for Verona by train this morning. It was a lovely trip through the Alps/Dolomites albeit I slept a good deal of the way.  Leaving Innsbruck the train climbed for over 50min until it reached the Brenner pass which is the border between Austria and Italy.  The Brenner pass is the lowest in altitude of all the alpine passes at 1370m/4495’.  The 5 hour journey brought me into Verona in the early afternoon so once checked into my hotel I hit the road.  After 4 hours of wandering around and 16,000 steps I went back to the hotel to rest my sore feet.  I think my days of walking for hours on rough European streets are coming to a close.  My entire body is aching but especially my feet.

I took in many of the main sites but not all.  I have a guided walking tour booked for the morning so I wanted to same some of them.  Plus, I will learn about the sites I saw today.

As usual I don’t write a great deal, rather I let the photos do the talking.

A view of the rugged Dolomites from the train window.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A map of old Verona.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Vecchio
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the town from the bridge in Castle Vecchio
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Vecchio from the other side of the Adige River that flows through Verona. The river is the 2nd longest in Italy after the Po River. It originates in the Austrian Alps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Piazza Erne and Castle Giulietta.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The arena
Heart 1 Comment 0
My mid afternoon snack of an arancini and bruschetta with red wine, of course. We had a short cloud burst of rain in the middle of my snack but I was undeterred.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The famous Juliette balcony.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many government buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anastasia church
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling inside the church. Many of the frescos, paintings and sculptures date back to the 1400s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A holy water font held up by a hunch back. Legend has it that rubbing his back will bring good luck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
St Peter’s castle from St Peter’s bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Giorgio church from St Peter’s bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to St Peter’s bridge, the oldest bridge in Verona.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I am standing in the middle of the bridge looking back at the entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jan MeyerYou’re right about how tired/sore your feet get walking on these uneven cobblestones!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Deb HunterYour pics, as always are terrific. The photo of the Dolomites blew all my preconceptions out of the water. For some reason I had pictured them as forbidding and gray and rocky, but they are anything but that. Just beautiful. I will be interested in your observations on Lake Garda. I was with a good friend on Wednesday and her son is now in Italy, scouting out to buy a home on/near Lake Garda.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Hilary JaegerI LOVE Verona! I always recommend it to people who want to do something other than Rome / Florence / Venice when in Italy.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Bob KoreisI learned a long time ago that a cane/hiking staff is a great help in dealing with the impact on your body from walking European streets. They also make excellent collapsible bike stands.

Your afternoon snack has me salivating.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago